Skip to main content

They have a point

I was watching Larry King on CNN. There was a panel of Republicans and Democrats debating if Sarah Palins daughter’s pregnancy should be a issue. The Democrat said it should be an issue because the Republicans are always preaching "family values" and even(in some cases) say sex education should not be taught in school. So I thought the man has a point. I personally think Sarah Palins daughter should not be part of any national debate. She should be left alone. But the whole issue of family values, sex education, and abortion are political issues. I do not think you can legislate family values. Different people have different values. If one person believes in for example abstinence, and another believes in birth control this can not be legislated. The abortion battle will never be won as long as it is considered a value or moral issue. We will never come to an agreement because we do not all share the same values or morals. I do not believe abortion is a moral issue. Abortion is an ethical issue. If society says that life should be protected, even when that life is not "convent" this is a social ethic! For example, a family has an older parent that is sick. They require time and money to care for this parent. It is not simple or easy. Society gives the family the right to abandon the parent, but not the right to kill the parent! If a baby is born a parent does not have a right to kill this child, they can however safely abandon the child. We may not agree upon when life becomes life, but the whole "I have a right to my own body" is a real lame ethical argument! Our rights as people are always limited. We have rights, but no right to just kill another person because we want to. Pro choice people say life begins at birth. Pro life people say at conception. Science says something in-between. That age of when a baby can actually survive outside the womb is getting younger and younger. Late term abortion at the very least should be considered unethical! Most people getting abortions do it because it seems more convent then dealing with a baby at that time in their lives. Since when does society allow murder based on weather the life was or was not "convent" at that time in their lives? A woman has a right to have sex or not have sex. She has a right to use birth control or not use it. These are the "rights" she has to her body. If she gets pregnant, I think she has a right to keep the baby or give it away. I personally don't believe she should be given a right to kill the child...but at the very least not a late term abortion! I’m glad Sarah Palin’s daughter will keep the baby. I don’t necessarily believe she should marry the father. Often teen marriages end in Divorce. That is their choice. I hope it works out for them. I have written this before but…
Society needs to help support women that have unplanned pregnancies. Medical and emotional care needs to be made available more! Money needs to be there to help women that make the choice to keep the child. Adoption needs to become more socially acceptable. If we say we value life, we have to show it by our actions. All these things can be included in public policy. You can not dictate morals, but you can provide health care, child care, and education to pregnant teens. Our society can not say we are agents abortion with out helping women who have unplanned pregnancies. I also think the church needs to do a better job teaching our values to our own children. This does not mean they will choose to follow or accept our values. They may not accept our values. I just think we don’t actually do a good job teaching our kids. Even when they are taught, it is their choice (the choice of all my children) what they believe and what they do. Abortion is a choice I think we never should have been given. In no other area of society does one individual have so much power over another individual. Abortion undermines the worth of life. I've read some really hateful things from people about how Sarah Palins daughter should have gotten rid of the unwanted baby. Hateful awful, selfish inhuman stuff!!! I actually appreciate the response of Obama. Families should be off limits. He then went on to say his own mother had him when she was just 18 years old. Was he born before there was a choice? Why yes he was. And what would have happened if she had made the choice not to keep him? I don't agree with his politics, but I agree he is a brilliant man. His life has worth. We have lost 40 million individuals to abortion in America. We will never know what brilliant, creative, inspiring people where never given a chance to live because they were aborted. I don’t think we can debate values. I know we can debate ethics. Our values should be lived out. They have much more power if we just live what we believe.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Society needs to help support women that have unplanned pregnancies. Medical and emotional care needs to be made available more! Money needs to be there to help women that make the choice to keep the child. Adoption needs to become more socially acceptable."

I totally agree with you on that! And I think that could solve the whole issue. Because it wouldn't matter, if abortion is legal or not - women would have a real choice then and it would be easier for them, to decide for the child.

Oh, and actually the daughter of Sarah Palin shouldn't be a matter of this election.
Meg said…
I agree that Palin's daughter should not be an issue during this election- the thing that I can not wrap my brain around though is why is she running right now? her family needs her during this time- her daughters life and choices are now playing out in the public- I don't think I could do that to my children- I think (at least I hope) I would put them first- as VP she will not be as available to her family- especially her pregnant daughter- as she should be to really support her- I think her choice right now as a mother is not the best one it could be and I think it speaks a lot to her character........I don't want a VP who is conflicted on where she should be.....

Popular posts from this blog

chicken coop idea

Why not start with an IBC and cut a hole for the door? You could build closed laying boxes into it, and something for the chickens to roost on. Put some straw or saw dust on the floor. You could add vents to the side for air. If it sat inside a chicken run that you can walk into, the chickens could be safe, dry and happy. I have an extra IBC. Maybe this could be my chicken house? I bet I could even plant the outside of it with mud and grass for extra insulation and good looks.

Taking at look at Hotels select

I have the chance to review Hotels select.   https://www.hotelsetc.com/ This is a really interesting travel club.   You pay a fee of about 200 dollars a year to use their very extensive site.   I got this membership free.   It has many deals of mostly hotels, but also rental cars, flights, restaurants and events around the world.   I have been spending days looking at what they offer.   So far what I’ve found is amazing deals on the places many people go.   For example, hotels in Orlando are 50% less than deals you find at booking.com.   Rental cars are often 25% cheaper than Rental cars.com.   And they have a search where you can book a condo for as little as 250 dollars a week just 1 mile from Disney world.   That is 7 nights for 250 dollars for up to 4 people.   The exact location on Airbnb cost 650 dollars a week. If you travel to places like San Diego, New York City and Las Vegas this site will save you a great deal of money.   If you rent cars you will also find it wo

Reading Kingdom

I am very happy to review the Reading Kingdom.   This is an online program that uses a variety of methods to teach reading.   I decided to share this product with my adopted granddaughter Ruth.   Reading kingdom uses a six skills integrative method Ruth only just began to use the program. She is only 3 years old and cannot use the program without help.   But her mom says that she can already recognize words like girl and kids when they are shown on the screen.   Sylvia wrote that she loves the repetition of the words in the program .   That Ruth is memorizing the words she sees.     She will be able to use it for an entire year.   But I expect her to become a very good reader.   And what a great gift to give to any child!   She will have a lifetime love for books.     Sylvia also works with teenage mothers in Uganda.   And many of these women have never attended school.   So she plans to use these ideas to help these young women learn to read. http://www.ReadingKingdom.com what