Tuesday, September 04, 2012

what should we do?

Sarah is again afraid of school. School starts on Monday and she has to write a paper about her summer vacation. She feels so much fear. I think she isn't ready for the 3rd grade. She is probably dyslexic. We still have to get this tested officially. That will happen this fall. But I see little advantage in sending her to the 3rd grade. I think it's better for her to over learn the basics then move quickly and feel like she is sinking. I was held back in the 3rd grade. At the time it seemed like the end of the world, but I became a better student. We have given her a choice, but the way she is acting I feel like we should rethink this. Perhaps we should call her teacher and see if there is a place in the 2nd grade. I think if she just had one more year, it could make a very big difference for her. German is a hard language, and she didn't begin learning it until she was 4. And she has speech problems...and maybe dyslexia. My gut says we should hold her back.

2 comments:

Rick Moreno said...

Amy, When I held Gary back in the first grade, I switched schools. I know in my heart it was the best thing I ever did for him. If you make the same choice, I only would suggest if you can, switch schools if at all possible.

Rick Moreno said...

Amy, When I held Gary back in the first grade, I switched schools. I know in my heart it was the best thing I ever did for him. If you make the same choice, I only would suggest if you can, switch schools if at all possible.