Skip to main content

7 hours

Yesterday it took us 7 hours to get Jessica from the car to the apartment. She is afraid of water. Taking a water taxi was completely out of the question so we took the train. And normally it would take 45 minutes to walk from the train station to our apartment. But Jessica sat down, and refused to move. Jürgen thought it was hopeless, and he should just drive home to Germany. Nicole and Sarah were so stressed out they were crying. I asked Jürgen to take the girls to the apartment. I could not manage their drama, and Jessica’s too. And so I sat with her. We sat for a few hours until it was dark. I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes. And I was sweating so much, because of the heavy humidity. The Italians are slaves to fashion. We saw a parade of designer people as we sat there. I can only imagine what they must have thought of Jessica and me sitting on the sidewalk. My arms were black and blue because Jessica had pitched me so much. And the sole of my sandal began to peel off. I’m sure I could have made some good money if I had placed a cup in front of us. Finally I was ready to give up. I asked Jess if she wanted to go back to the car. I thought I would sleep with her in the car, and drive home today. We passed a stand that sells soda on the way back to the train station. At first I said no to the drink. I was pretty upset with Jessica. But I gave in. And instead of walking to the station, Jess wanted to go back to the place we had been sitting. But I managed to get her to keep walking. It was dark, and you could not see the water so well. I followed the signs towards St Marks. Our apartment is 5 minutes from St Marks. I did stop a few times to check if we were going in the right direction. Most of the people I asked were kind. One waiter I asked was very rude. Perhaps he did not approve of how we looked? I’m sure we looked like something the cat dragged in. Venice is extremely beautiful. I was concentrating on Jessica, but I still managed to see the charming environment. I would have loved to stop at one of the sidewalk cafes for dinner. But we were so sweaty and dirty at this point. I did stop 3 times to by Jessica drinks. Finally we were just one small bridge away from our goal. But Jessica was too tired, and refused to cross the bridge. We were next to a gondola stand. They had chairs there. They welcomed us too sit down. It was 10:30pm. They were closing shop. Jürgen called me on the phone. I described were we were. It took him about a half hour to find us. But he came, and helped me bring Jessica over that final bridge. We changed her and put her to bed. She was out cold in 5 minutes. But the extreme stress of it took its toll on Jürgen and me. It was very hard to calm down and sleep. And today I have felt really sick. I guess I lost too many minerals from the sweating yesterday. My whole system seemed out of balance. I’ve spent almost the entire day in bed. Jürgen is out with Jessica now. They are looking for the McDonalds. I’m hoping to be recovered enough tomorrow to go to some museums with Nicole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

chicken coop idea

Why not start with an IBC and cut a hole for the door? You could build closed laying boxes into it, and something for the chickens to roost on. Put some straw or saw dust on the floor. You could add vents to the side for air. If it sat inside a chicken run that you can walk into, the chickens could be safe, dry and happy. I have an extra IBC. Maybe this could be my chicken house? I bet I could even plant the outside of it with mud and grass for extra insulation and good looks.

Taking at look at Hotels select

I have the chance to review Hotels select.   https://www.hotelsetc.com/ This is a really interesting travel club.   You pay a fee of about 200 dollars a year to use their very extensive site.   I got this membership free.   It has many deals of mostly hotels, but also rental cars, flights, restaurants and events around the world.   I have been spending days looking at what they offer.   So far what I’ve found is amazing deals on the places many people go.   For example, hotels in Orlando are 50% less than deals you find at booking.com.   Rental cars are often 25% cheaper than Rental cars.com.   And they have a search where you can book a condo for as little as 250 dollars a week just 1 mile from Disney world.   That is 7 nights for 250 dollars for up to 4 people.   The exact location on Airbnb cost 650 dollars a week. If you travel to places like San Diego, New York City and Las Vegas this site will save you a great deal of money.   If you rent cars you will also find it wo

Reading Kingdom

I am very happy to review the Reading Kingdom.   This is an online program that uses a variety of methods to teach reading.   I decided to share this product with my adopted granddaughter Ruth.   Reading kingdom uses a six skills integrative method Ruth only just began to use the program. She is only 3 years old and cannot use the program without help.   But her mom says that she can already recognize words like girl and kids when they are shown on the screen.   Sylvia wrote that she loves the repetition of the words in the program .   That Ruth is memorizing the words she sees.     She will be able to use it for an entire year.   But I expect her to become a very good reader.   And what a great gift to give to any child!   She will have a lifetime love for books.     Sylvia also works with teenage mothers in Uganda.   And many of these women have never attended school.   So she plans to use these ideas to help these young women learn to read. http://www.ReadingKingdom.com what